Sunday, July 25, 2010

There I was...

...picking up drum heads for an upcoming tour and standing right next to me at the drum counter of Thoroughbred Music (the Hillsborough Ave location) was one of my drumming heroes Gene Hoglan. You yunguns probably know Gene from Dethklok and perhaps Strapping Young Lad and Fear Factory. Back then, however, I knew Gene as the powerhouse behind Dark Angel and the new drummer for Death. In fact, Gene was purchasing drumheads for the Death tour while I was doing the same for our supporting role on the Danzig tour.
I said, "Holy SHIT! You're Gene Hoglan!"
Gene said, "Yeah... I know... who are you?"
I told him who I was and was surprised to hear, "Oh yeah. I've heard you guys. Good stuff. Great drumming."
Needless to say, I was floored. Here is someone that I've looked up to for years and he knows who I am and likes what I do. It was a rare moment in my life. haha.
Metal hasn't played a very big role in my life for quite some time. I must admit, if it weren't for Dethklok reigniting my love of Gene's playing, I probably wouldn't be so interested in buffing my double bass chops up again. The opposite being the case, I've ordered Gene's dvd "The Atomic Clock" in hopes of learning his speedy-feety tricks. Alas, he is just quick footed. I was really hoping to learn this new "heel toe" technique that all the kids are raving about. I've seen plenty of vids on You Tube and have even bought a new Iron Cobra - finally retiring my trusy Ascend pedal that I've used for nearly 20 years. My god. Did I just really type the words 20 years? Can this old dog really learn new dbl-kick tricks? We'll see, wabbit. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment